"I marked the location of the speakers and drilled my holes roughly three inches deep in the three and 3/8 inch thick burl."
“It made me very nervous using a three-inch-long straight bit as a makeshift pattern bit, but it did get the job done, and I can still count to ten on my fingers. I considered that a win”
"I then routed a grove for the speakers to sit flush with the face of the burl. After all the cuts were finished, a quick dry fit and test revealed that it was time for sanding and varnishing. I sanded through a 400 grit sandpaper and several coats of urethane, sanding with 0000 steel wool between coats."
"I really liked the way that it looked and it sounded OK, but it didn’t have quite enough bass for my liking. I showcased it on Reddit thinking I’d get 20 likes and a couple of comments. I was really shocked that I got around 5600 likes, and almost 200 comments. The crazy thing for me was when the guys from the audio subreddits started commenting and asking questions about stuff that I didn’t even know existed. Those guys were great and taught me a lot about the audio world. A couple of weeks later, I took it all apart, went back to my router, and created more space inside the burl for air flow. Now the bass is much better."
"Thank you Audio Dudes of Reddit!"